Thursday, December 27, 2012

39 Weeks - How I'm Feeling

How Far Along? 39 weeks! 1 week left until my due date, and my next OB appt is tomorrow.  I can't believe I didn't take a belly pic again! I guess I'll just share some christmas pictures.

Any Pregnancy News? Last week's OB appt was SO depressing at the time.  No progress at all. Still only 60% effaced and 1cm dilated.  That day was such a downer. To make it worse, no matter HOW MANY TIMES I said I was disappointed because it meant my body hadn't further prepared for labor, not because I was expecting or hoping for an early baby.  People in real life and on my due date clubs would always respond with the tired, infuriating, totally unsupportive line, "baby will come when baby is ready." Not only does this not really apply to me at all since that has nothing to do with why I was disappointed, I swear, everyone who utters those ridiculous words to any late term pregnant women are purposefully trying to make them feel as bad as possible.  Sometimes it's shocking to me the things women will say to each other.  That sentence in particular doesn't justify a response. Again, I'm not too concerned with when the baby comes, but I'd really like to be progressed as far as possible whenever he decides.  I had a 49hr labor last time!  I have good reason to want to progress each week, and it's not to rush the birth, it's to rush the labor!  I'm perfectly happy waiting until 41 weeks to have this baby, but I want labor to be 24hrs or less ;)
In other news, it turned out to be just as well to have the peace of mind that labor wouldn't be soon. As much as others wish for you to have a Christmas baby, it wasn't something I wanted.  Then, my mother's husband's mother (my step-grandmother) fell ill very suddenly and was hospitalized.  My mother is supposed to be jumping in the car and making the 4hr trip here the moment I go into labor so we have childcare for DS.  This week would have been a terrible time for her to leave her husband.  His mother passed yesterday afternoon, and I'm glad my mom can be there to help with the arrangements.  I feel bad that I can't travel to the funeral at this point in my pregnancy to show support for his family, but I'm glad at least I'm not taking mom away from where she's needed.

Tomorrow, I'll be checked again.  If I still haven't progressed, it's going to be depressing.  I'm expecting to have a baby in the first or 2nd week in January (due the 3rd), but I was really hoping to see progress every week until that point.  My OB is a chronic membrane sweeper, and usually doesn't ask permission. I used to be so against it, but if I'm dilated enough I now probably won't stop her. I doubt it will put me into labor, but it may help me dilate more and help my body prepare.

Position of the baby? Oh my, I have no idea anymore.  I think the issue is that even though his head is somewhat engaged at almost -1 station, the OB last week said it's not solidly engaged.  His head can bounce in and out of it's present position. I think baby is spinning around every which way.  This makes sense because the lack of true engagement would explain why I'm not progressing, and him spinning explains why every doctor or chiropractor I see says he's in a different position. They're all probably right, they're just feeling at different times and he's always moving!


Before and after shots of Christmas Eve and Christmas for DS.
I added 45 ornaments to the tree and it didn't look that different.
Next year I'm going to have to add garland or something else to make it better.
Sleep? I can never go to the gym on the weekends since they don't have childcare those days, and then they were closed Monday and Tuesday for the holidays.  Yesterday we had an ice storm that closed them again and kept us indoors.  I've gotten so lazy and lethargic these past few days without my workouts. I miss it so much! I think DS has cabin fever as well. He loves the childcare center at the gym, and with his preschool out for the holiday vacation he needs the activity even more. We need the gym! I'm listing this problem under sleep, because that's how this effects me the most. With no physical activity at night, I'm not able to go to sleep until later and I don't sleep as well.

Movement?  Sometimes I worry my water has broken because I leak so much fluid during the day, but my OB has said the amount is normal and since there's no decrease in movement it's easy to dismiss.  There's nothing as reassuring as feeling your baby move. I love it!

Weight Gain? Was 173 last night so I think I'm down a pound from last week. It's so hard to put on weight when my stomach is so squished! Up 43lbs from prepregnancy.

Gender? It's a boy!

What I miss? I always miss my second child. I like to think he was a boy, but I'll never know for sure. His birthday was January 2nd, 2012.  We're coming to the anniversary of those terrible days.  New year's eve when I worked third shift knowing something was wrong and debating whether or not to go to the ER.  January 1st when I found out my baby had died, and January 2nd when I completed my miscarriage. I'm not sure if most women give their miscarried children a birthday, but I love having a day that's his to remember him every year.  I hope this baby doesn't come on his sibling's birthday, but I'm trying to keep an open mind and will celebrate both children if they happen to share a birthday. 

Labor signs? Was having very mild contractions from about 6pm to 7:30 every night, but not last night. I think it's because I'm now so physically inactive that baby is perfectly happy staying where he is. I hope I can get to the gym today!

Food Cravings? Protein shakes have been kind of terrible lately. I haven't had much of an appetite at all, really.  I have had slices of extra sharp cheddar cheese all throughout the day, and have enjoyed a root beer every now and again. I think I'm craving a root beer float and will probably try to make one tomorrow night.

What I'm looking forward too? I'm not really looking forward to my appointment tomorrow because I just know I'll be disappointed, but I am looking forward to this weekend. I'm done working 3rd shift! From now on, if it's bedtime, I'll be going to bed. Just like a regular person! Can't wait to enjoy my Sunday watching football instead of fighting through exhaustion the entire day. 

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! DS found it exciting and exhausting. LOL!

2 comments:

  1. Both my kids passed their due dates. I did go in labor a few days before my scheduled induction. My first (son) labor was over 24hrs my second (daughter) labor was only 9 hours. I was in the same boat as u when i was having no progress or anything. Good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. margaret, perhaps its the CALM before the powerful storm!!?? I was recalling about that (i read about) Calmness that happens in/before transition....to "ready" and summon the mommas energy for final pushing stages.

    Try try to keep that Wonderful POSITIVE ATTITUDE and that Visualization THAT IS WITHIN YOU!!! Your son can understand no doubt!!

    Perhaps he is rightly so....exploring and investigating the BEST POSSIBLE Route for a gentle Entry into the world!!! Thats why he floats , and engages slightly, then re-evaluates, and tries again...he is RETURNING the thoughtfulness and Diligence.
    It is well documented , 288 days is typical for gestation...let me count..281 for me..

    For you....maybe a fun ,guessing game!!

    My guesses: Sun.1/13...(283 days)
    Labor short....4hrs!!! Because YOU are sooo fit and STRONG!!!
    7#3oz

    ReplyDelete