Thursday, October 18, 2012

29 Weeks - Diagnosed w Undiagnosed GD...WHAT?

Included my legs so I don't look so fat!
How Far along? 29 Weeks. I can't wait to get into the 30s!

Any Pregnancy News? Had my OB appointment on Tuesday. I won't say it was terrible. I mean, I didn't cry or get upset or anything, but it was definitely frustrating. The positive news was confirmation from the doc that my evening and post-workout contractions are fine and normal.  I should just listen to my body if it's telling me to drink more water or rest, but no reason to hop on the phone unless they start getting really painful/regular. That was encouraging. Next was the Gestational Diabetes discussion. Since my last appointment, I had nearly failed the 1hr GD test, and refused to take the 3hr. My doctor decides to diagnose me with undiagnosed GD.  I decided not to touch how ridiculous it is to diagnose anyone with undiagnosed anything, and move to the crux of the issue.  I don't have GD! I know I don't.  I don't have any of the symptoms, etc.  I felt like I was making some headway until she measured my giant belly.  Measuring 4 weeks ahead. Crap! I knew that was normal for me since I measured very large for dates with DS, but I combined with my almost fail 1hr test there was no escaping my diagnosis undiagnosis.  ah geez. I was sent home to check my blood sugar via finger prick FOUR times a day, and a growth scan was ordered for my 30 week appointment.

I thought the whole thing was funny until I found out my insurance doesn't cover anything available over the counter. So I ended up spending $40 on the cheapest diabetic testing supplies known to man.  I have no idea what the ideal range is, but I knew the goal was to keep it under 120. My first value was 99. HA! Couldn't help but thing, "I TOLD YOU SO" while writing it down.  Post dinner was 83, seemed kinda low.  This pattern continued, fasting score of 74, and 2hrs after breakfast it was 82.  I was worried they were too low and the doc would think I had some sort of hypoglycemia issue.  So, I ate an enormous lunch (lasagna, yum!) and 2hrs later it was 109.  I decided to just call the doc and see if these super low scores were normal. The nurse took down all my scores, called me back, and said they were great.  In fact, the doc doesn't think I have GD, (I TOLD YOU SO!) but still wants me to check blood sugar twice a day until the next appointment. I agreed, but I really want to quit after that. I don't have either diagnosed or undiagnosed GD, and want that off my chart!  My son was a big belly and an average sized baby.  I'm hoping the growth scan shows the same and we can put this whole silly GD business behind us.  I do appreciate modern medicine, but I think sometimes they take 'just to make sure' a little too far.

Position of the baby? I didn't get a chance to ask the doc about it because we were deep in GD discussions, but I'm pretty sure he's still footling breech.  He's kicking my internal organs as I type, and I can sometimes feel his little head against my belly.  It feels really different from how DS's broad, flat, butt felt that I think it's the head.  If the growth scan confirms breech, then I'm going to ramp up my spinning babies efforts, and find a chiropractor certified in the webster technique.  DH has always been against chiropractors, but I really need to take every opportunity to get this baby turned while there's lots of room.  I realize there's lots of time, but there won't be lots of room for long.  Real estate becomes limited each week as the baby gets bigger.  It will only be more difficult to turn him.  Of course, if the scan shows he's head down after how much time I spent worrying about it this month, I don't know what I'll do. Probably laugh, and feel super relieved!
Me, at work, from the front. YIKES!

Maternity clothes? Was gifted some more clothes.  They're all yoga pants, though.  It makes me feel like a slob to wear them everyday. That being said, the more i wear them, the more uncomfortable my maternity jeans feel.  I figure it's the third trimester.  I can feel stylish after the baby comes ;)

Weight gain? 161. Only gained 1 lb this week! Brings me up to a total of 31 lbs gained. I often feel like working out doesn't make a difference, but last week I went to the gym or for a two mile walk everyday.  It made a difference!

Gender? It's a boy!

What I miss? I always miss my second child. I've been craving caffeine lately, and while I'm keeping to my limit of 150mg a day, it'd be nice to just go wild one day just because it's what I want. Sadly, with breastfeeding it could possibly be years before I can indulge in such an unhealthy way. Probably a good thing, but it leaves me feeling that I'm not in control of my own body and I don't like that feeling.

Labor signs? Just BH contractions in the evenings or when I'm working out. I'm so used to them now I can always function through them. It's amazing how tight and rock hard my belly gets when I'm having them.

Movement? Feeling movement with DS was so much more enjoyable. Every time I feel this baby move, I'm immediately trying to determine his position. I just know he's head up.  Feeling him move just confirms that.  I can't wait until he flips although I'll always be wanting confirmation that he's positioned properly.

Food Cravings? I had the best glass of lemonade yesterday. That's another great thing about pregnancy. The food cravings are rough, but food satisfies so much more than any other time.

What I'm looking forward too? I'm doing much better with my birth story reading. So far this week I've already read over 30 birth stories.  I might not hit my weekly goal of 50 stories read, but I've got a rhythm now.  My goal seems very attainable.  I also want to pick up Ina May's guide to childbirth at the library.  I suspect DS is getting strep throat like all his friends. He's never had antibiotics before, so this could be a traumatic experience for the both of us and I'm not looking forward to that.  We'll just have to approach it with an open mind.  I'd hate for antibiotics to wipe out the immune system I have so carefully nurtured with breastmilk, avoiding hand sanitizer, etc, but I have to hope and trust I've made it strong enough to be able to rebuild after such a blow.  We also have no way of knowing if he's allergic to them or not.  I hope he doesn't have strep and we can avoid them for a while longer!

This week's pic of DS! Taken while on a long walk. We love our 'hikes'!

2 comments:

  1. The third trimester of pregnancy is the stage where a mother is most prone to Gestational Diabetes. Even though you haven’t been diagnosed with this before, doctors still advise mothers to take the test, or allow them to take the test at home, just like what the doctor had told you. This is to make sure that you are having a safe pregnancy because GD can greatly affect you as well as your baby.

    -Chelsea Leis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah, despite all my complaining that's why I'm still going along with it. I do refuse a lot of standard care during pregnancy, but I see the value in taking the time to make sure I don't have GD. If it turns out I have it after all this I'll def have a time taking my foot out of my mouth so I can eat my words. lol. Still pretty sure I don't have it, though!

      Delete