Monday, June 11, 2012

10 week update: OB appt tomorrow

10 weeks! And it's going to be a busy one. I'm working 3rd shift tonight, and then will be able to get about 3hrs sleep before heading to an OB appointment. It won't be anything special. Just pap and bloodwork.  I'll try to talk them into a scan, but I'll be fine if they just check the hb on the doppler. Then it's off to the beach with ds.  Just me and him in the car for four hours on not as much sleep! Oh geez. He's pretty good in the car though, so as long as the trip is without incident we should survive it. I'm more worried about how tired I'll be after we arrive. DS hasn't been that great about going to bed lately, so it's going to be a really long day. 

Hopefully, the week will include lot's of sand and fun, and then only one more week until my 12 week scan. The scan where all my questions will be answered. I hope!  We still haven't established viability to my standards. We haven't totally eliminated the possibility of twins, and don't yet have a firm due date. I'm hoping the NT scan resolves all these issues.

Tomorrow I'm going to speak with the doc about continuing metformin. The practice has changed their policy from my last viable pregnancy and now reccommends staying on metformin for the entire pregnancy. Since I'm not insulin resistant, nor have ever had or been high risk for gestational diabetes, I'm not sure if this is the right course of action for me. Last time I weaned off met at 14weeks. I'm thinking of staying on it until 24 weeks this time. That will take me well into the 2nd trimester, and my body will have adjusted before my GD test at 28 weeks.

I'll also discuss the blood test that goes with the NT scan, the alph quad protein screening. I agreed to it at first, but now I'm not sure. I'm only doing the NT scan to answer the questions listed above. Not at all to find out my childs risk of genetic defect. The test doesn't tell you whether they have it, only if you're high risk. Most of the moms told they're high risk end up with a perfectly healthy child.  Since I wouldn't do an amnio to confirm the results of the test, I don't want to needlessly worry away my pregnancy. I'm very worried that I'd be in the percentage of women told they were high risk only to either needlessly endanger thier pregnancy to prove otherwise or spend the whole 9 months in tears.

That's all for now. I finally changed the blog header to something acknowledging that I'm currently pregnant. One more belly pic for the road. 10 weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment