Monday, November 7, 2011

ttc#2 timeline

I need to sort out the timeline of events that led me to this point. I hope it will help me decide where to go from here, although I think I mostly have a plan in place.

My son was born March 26th, 2010
After working so hard to achieve our first pregnancy, we had already decided never to prevent another. But we were not ttc or paying attention.
My period returned March 6th, 2011.  I had 32 day or less cycles, and believed I was ovulating.
In May I went back on metformin, 1500mgs.
In June we officially began ttc #2
In July I tried 200mg Soy Isoflavones, CD3-7
In August I tried the Soy again at the same dosage since I thought I was ovulating.
In September, I left the Soy dosage the same, but did days 5-9 thinking egg quality must be the problem. I thought I o'd on cd17 because I experienced the same mild O symptoms as usual. Then, I experienced extreme O symptoms on cd28. I discuss that experience here. That turned out to be ovulation. Probably my first real ovulation in all that time.

So here I am 11DPO with no symptoms although we did dtd all through the window. I'm kicking myself for not realizing I was surging, but not actually ovulating. This is common with PCOS, and means not only that i've been pointlessly wasting time with no hope of conceiving, but also each cycle without ovulation probably added to the tiny cysts on my ovaries.  This will make ttc even more difficult. I know hindsight's 20/20, but I just would have done differently if I'd known.

Got to stop dwelling on the past, and focus on the present. I don't think my dosage of metformin is high enough. All the research I've read says the minimum effective dose is 2000mg, and this is the dose I was on when I conceived my son. My new doc didn't authorize that high a dose this time, and I'm kind of peeved about it now that I realize the consequences of that decision. If/when AF comes I'm calling the doc to up my prescription. I'll give that two months to work, and then try clomid.  My son is a soy baby, and this time I unknowingly wasted all these Soy cycles on too low a dosage. Though I didn't give Soy a fair shot, I did screw with my hormones for 3 months in a row. I'm planning to take two cycles off, and then screw with them again. I do believe phytoestrogens cause cancer, and if I'm going to risk further cycles I want to do it with what has the highest chance of success. That would be clomid instead of the soy. I'm so sad about the consequences of not knowing I wasn't ovulating, but, again, I have to move forward.

So, hoping to become preg in february, which would make my kids nearly 3 years apart instead of the two that I'd hoped. Such is the fate of the infertile, but the prize is worth waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment