Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pregnancy Decisions!

Last night I went to bed at 9pm and woke up at 7:30 feeling fantastic. (up a few times in between with ds) At first it made me really worried that I wasn't experiencing more pregnancy symptoms, but by 2:30 I started feeling totally exhausted again. Normally 10 hrs of sleep would last me longer than that, so, I felt more confident. Also lost confidence cause I poas on a whim this morning and it was negative. But, on monday it barely registered on a cheapie, and that's what i used this morning after holding it barely an hour. Tonight if I get a larger block I'm going to use a FRER.

So, finally being pregnant there's a lot of decisions I need to make that I've pretty much already made.
  1. Continue metformin or stop. I'm going to continue through the first trimester. Some women stop with their bfp.  Others use it throughout their pregnancy. I believe continued use of metformin prevents miscarriage, but I don't have insulin resistance or any other reason to continue once the chance of miscarriage is reduced. My OB advises women to quit taking it at bfp, but I've done my own research and I believe I'm doing the right thing.
  2. Betas: This I actually debated. My mother lost her second pregnancy, and women with pcos have a very high rate of miscarriage. Possibly as high as 35%, but I have confidence in my uterus. I take baby aspirin and red raspberry leaf regularly. Also, I'm sticking with my metformin. Unfortunately, 2 betas cost us $350. We're going to put that towards paying for the pregnancy instead of paying for betas. We'll just have to wait it out.
  3. To tell or not to tell. My husband feels very strongly that we shouldn't tell until we see the heartbeat. That's very reasonable. It's not waiting out the interminable first trimester, nor telling before the pee dries, but its so hard for me to keep it in! We've decided to each tell our best friends. (I'm telling two people, idk how many he's telling. lol.) His mom is visiting on the 18th, I'm going to try to convince him to tell her. I know it's early, but if I lost the baby i'd tell her anyway so why make me endure a whole weekend with a secret? We're going to a big family event for thanksgiving. I'm going to tell my mom at that time, but not the entire family. I really want too, but it's just too soon. We won't have had any confirmation that the preg is viable. :(
  4. Flu shot: HA! Not a chance. No way. No how. Not gonna happen. lol. Not against it for those who need it. But each person should balance their own risks. The flu shot has significant risk, but so does getting the flu. As I've never gotten the flu, for me, the guaranteed damage done by the flu shot (tho small) isn't worth preventing the very small risk of getting the flu. For others at great risk of getting the flu I can see how it makes sense.
  5. Breastfeeding: really thought DS would be weaned by now. (19 months) But he has chosen to continue. He only breastfeeds when sleeping is involved. (nap, night time) So, I'm thinking about getting rid of the nap time feeding and getting him to sleep the only other way I know how, hefting him around until he falls asleep in my arms. I do hope to have him weaned before the birth, but I won't deny him either. We'll see what happens.
That's enough for now. Practically my longest post ever. I work 3rd shift twice a week and I'm really looking forward to spending the whole of saturday night on the internet.  I just feel like I need time to process.  I need to browse July 2012 birth clubs and baby name sites. I want to mindlessly view 'your baby is the size of a poppy seed' tickers and just bask in baby bump anticipation for hours on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment